Safety Guidelines for Classrooms
PF has worked diligently to prepare campus workspaces and buildings as more faculty, staff, and students return. For details on their efforts, please visit https://ipf.msu.edu/together-again.
For those of you who will be in classrooms, we would like you to keep the following issues in mind and communicate them with your students.
- Share with students that IPF custodial is committed to providing a safe, healthy environment for research and education. Detailed cleaning levels are available at on the Custodial service level page. Find details related to classrooms, restrooms, and more at the Custodial Services page.
- Realign lesson plans so communal objects (e.g., lab equipment, computer equipment, desks) are minimized when possible (e.g., assigning each student their own supplies, lab equipment, computers) and cleaned between use.
- Encourage students to keep their personal items (e.g., cell phones, other electronics) to themselves and clean.
- Encourage students to use disinfectant wipes to wipe down shared desks, lab equipment, and other shared objects and surfaces between uses and disposing these cleaning materials in the nearest trash bin. Cleaning supplies will be available near or inside classrooms.
- Ask students to bring their own closed top water container to minimize use of water fountains.
- Consider hosting class sessions outdoors if feasible.
- Identify for yourself and your students the closest restroom and hand sanitizer stations from your classroom.
- Contact IPF Custodial Services at 517-355-1855 if cleaning supplies are running low.
- If concerned about contamination, Contact Environmental Health and Safety at 517-355-0153 for assistance with disinfection procedures.
In addition, Environmental Health and Safety has posted safe return forms and FAQs for teaching laboratories and research.